About our school ~
Established in 1978, Durango Early Learning Center was originally a grade school. However, as the needs of the community changed over the years, so did the role of the school. Currently, DELC offers toddler and preschool provision for 70 children in La Plata County.
DELC is a nonsectarian, nonprofit center that works in partnership with the Department of Human Services and the Colorado Preschool and Kindergarten Program.
The building itself is an older structure that was originally a family house. Today, the various rooms have been converted into classrooms, creating an environment that utilizes both inside and outside space to reflect the area's natural resources. The outside space includes a sensory garden, vegetable beds and landscaping that incorporates local items. In addition, the children have created stepping stones and sculptures throughout the garden area.
The school welcomes and utlizes the skills and advice of parents and community members to create an environment appreciated and enjoyed by all. The children are exposed to everything from dramatists and musicians to environmentalists, artists and story tellers. All help to enrich DELC's already vibrant curriculum. The school also works to the strengths of its individual teachers, with each bringing his or her own passion and enthusiasm.
Our Team ~
The staff at DELC consists of highly qualified early year educators that are dedicated year after year to bringing a
wealth of experience and understanding to the needs of our young students and their families.
Ethos of the DELC Board of Directors ~
A heartfelt thank you ~
- Durango Early Learning Center places an emphasis on creating a community of learning among students and families within the school
- Parents are highly involved in their child’s early education through board participation, classroom socials, sing-a-longs, fundraisers, and recitals
- DELC strives to provide a serious educational setting that prepares students and parents for a successful transition into the world of formal education
- Parents can drop their child off with confidence that he or she is well cared for and instilled with a positive idea of school and relating to teachers
- DELC is a preschool worth getting excited about!
To an alumni parent, Nadine Marks
Sadly her son David died of heart failure and asked that donations be made to the school for scholarships.
With this generous gesture we were able to assist two families during summer program.